Summer is here, and that means it’s peak air conditioning season once again. But just because you are going to be running your air conditioner more doesn’t mean you have to break the bank. Keep reading for our tips to save on AC costs this summer, and remember that when it comes to all of your air conditioning needs, you can always count on the pros at All Pro Plumbing, Heating & Electrical.
Top 5 Ways to Save on Air Conditioning Costs Over the Summer
- Keep Your System Running: This may sound surprising, as you would expect that the last way to save on AC costs is to keep your unit running even when you are not home. However, by letting your air conditioner run when you leave for the day, you will be able to achieve more consistent temperatures throughout your house, so you don’t have to immediately get home and crank down the temperature. When your air conditioner has to combat the heat that’s built up in your house all day, it will have to work harder to cool the whole space. The end result is that your AC unit will overexert itself, putting more wear and tear on the system while increasing your energy bills. Instead, it’s best to find a stable temperature to keep your unit at when you go to your job, so you are comfortable the second you step in the door and your cooling costs remain stable. And speaking of stable temperatures…
- Turn Your Thermostat Up: Again, this advice may seem counterintuitive—after all to achieve cooler temperatures, wouldn’t you want to turn your thermostat down? The issue is that your AC unit will already be working hard to cool your home, so turning your thermostat down too is just a waste of money. Instead, it’s best to keep your thermostat at a stable 72 degrees (if not higher) during the summertime. This will balance out temperatures in your house, and help ensure you are not paying more for cooling power than is necessary. The same is true in the wintertime, where you should be turning your thermostat down to balance out the warmth coming from your heater. Fortunately, it’s now easier to achieve premium home comfort than ever thanks to modern, smart thermostats, some of which will automatically adjust to the ideal temperature for you.
- Seal In Temperatures as Much as Possible: Every year, homeowners lose a ton of cooling power simply because air escapes through cracks and holes throughout their home. This in turn forces your air conditioning system to work a lot harder, meaning you spend more money for less comfort. That’s why you should try to seal in temperatures throughout your home as much as possible. Make sure your windows and doors have proper weather-stripping and patch up cracks and holes in various parts of your house. You should also hire a professional to see if your insulation is in good condition, as functioning insulation plays a huge role in locking in temperatures. Even ensuring your windows are closed all the way and drawing the blinds so the sun does not come through (thereby making it harder to cool the entire room) can go a long way to preventing air loss and locking in temperatures.
- Consider Installing a Ceiling Fan: Installing a ceiling fan might seem like a poor way to stay cool during the height of summer, but you might be surprised to learn the difference a well-placed ceiling fan can make. Working in conjunction with your air conditioner, a ceiling fan can increase the airflow in any given room, therein making the room cooler and ensuring your air conditioner does not have to work as hard. And of course, a ceiling fan is a great way to save on AC costs at night or on more temperate days, where you may not need the full blast of your air conditioner.
- Don’t Forget to Call a Technician: Ultimately, the best way to guarantee that you do not experience costly AC problems is simply to call a technician sooner rather than later. At All Pro Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electrical, our HVAC technicians offer expert AC repairs and maintenance designed to keep your system running energy-efficiently for years to come. And if you do need to install a new system, we also provide several affordable replacement options, plus we have a number of specials and discounts, allowing you to maximize savings on a brand new, energy-efficient AC unit today.
For more air conditioning tips and tricks, call (909) 253-0664, or click here to contact us online. And remember, our expert AC technicians are available 24/7 for emergency service!