You may have heard about tankless water heaters and are wondering whether it’s worth installing one. We’re glad you found this post! All Pro Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electrical is the Ontario area’s water heater expert, and we love touting the benefits of this technology.
Click below to request an estimate for tankless water heater installation in San Bernardino County!
Why Upgrade to a Tankless Water Heater?
Many people upgrade to tankless water heaters because:
- Tankless water heaters provide an endless supply of hot water, unlike tank water heaters where hot water can run out and take time to replenish
- Tankless water heaters are compact wall mounts and take up very little space in your garage or utility closet
- Tankless water heaters use energy more efficiently than tank water heaters, which can provide savings on your energy bill
- Tankless water heaters are the more eco-friendly choice over conventional tank water heaters because they only heat water when there is a demand for it instead of around-the-clock
- Tankless water heaters last significantly longer than tank water heaters
Do Tankless Water Heaters Save Money?
Recent inflation and market volatility has rightfully left many people more aware of how they spend their money, particularly when it comes to discretionary expenses like home improvement. But your appliances and plumbing fixtures don’t care a thing about the current state of the economy; in fact, it often seems like expensive things break down during the most inconvenient times on purpose.
If your old water heater is rapidly approaching the end of its life, it’s important to research your options and it’s completely understandable that cost is a legitimate deciding factor. However, immediate costs shouldn’t be the only deciding factor – it’s a good idea to consider both long-term as well as short-term costs. In other words, while replacing your water heater with a cheap tank model may seem enticing at first, it may be a better long-term investment to choose a tankless water heater that will provide an overall lower cost of ownership throughout its service life.
Here are a couple of ways that a tankless water heater can save money compared to a tank model:
- Tankless water heaters are more energy efficient. Unlike conventional water heaters which have to constantly keep a tank of water heated and ready for use, tankless water heaters only heat water when it is needed. This makes tankless water heaters the more energy efficient option because they eliminate the standby energy loss problem of storage tank models. The less energy is needed to deliver hot water, the more savings you’ll see on your energy bill.
- Tankless water heaters have a longer lifespan. Tank water heaters typically have a lifespan of around 8 to 15 years before they will need to be replaced. Tankless water heaters, on the other hand, can last much longer – around 20 years or maybe more on average. That can significantly defer a hefty replacement bill!
Are Tankless Water Heaters Right for Every Situation?
Although tankless water heaters are great in these ways, they still may not be for everyone. For example, if you have a large household with a high simultaneous water demand (such as multiple people showering around the same time, running the dishwasher and the laundry at the same time, etc.) then a tank water heater may actually be the more practical option. Another thing to consider is whether you’ll need any plumbing retrofitting in order to accommodate a tankless water heater, which would add additional costs to your installation. If you’re not sure what type of water heater to purchase, it’s a good idea to consult your local plumbing company who can take your budget, your hot water use, and other factors into consideration.
Bottom line: Although tankless water heaters cost more initially, they can save you money in the long run while providing you with many other enticing benefits. If you have questions about water heater installation or would like a quote on a new tankless water heater, give All Pro a call today at 909-253-0664.